How to Get Help Paying New Orleans Sewerage and Water or Entergy BillsPosted on: November 23, 2021
The information provided on this post does not, and is not intended to, represent legal advice. All information available on this site is for general informational purposes only. If you need legal help, you should contact a lawyer. You may be eligible for our free legal services and can apply by calling our Covid Legal Hotline at 1-844-244-7871 or applying online here.
Talk to the water or power company if you get behind on your bill.
Do not ignore unpaid bills.
Unpaid bills can lead to cutoffs.
What if I can’t pay my Entergy bill?
First - contact Entergy.
There is online information about Entergy payment assistance here.
You can also call Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749)
You have some Entergy payment options:
- See if you qualify for a payment extension.
- See if you qualify for a deferred payment plan.
- See if a level billing plan works of you. That plan keeps your monthly bills the same for all over a 12 months.
- See if you qualify for the Power to Care Program. Contact the New Orleans Council on Aging at (504) 821-4121.
How do I apply to get money to help pay these bills?
LIHEAP (the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) has federal money to help people pay energy bills and other energy-related expenses.
Total Community Action (TCA) connects people with LIHEAP aid.
To see if you qualify for LIHEAP , call TCA.
You can also use the TCA website here.
What if I can’t pay my Sewerage and Water bill?
First, contact Sewerage and Water Board (SWB).
SWB has online information about help with payments here.
You can also call SWB.
See if you qualify for the Sewerage and Water Board Water Help/Plumbing Assistance Program.
The program helps elderly, disabled and lower-income customers pay their water bills and make minor plumbing repairs.
Total Community Action (TCA) connects people with help from this program.
You apply in person at:
Total Community Action
1424 South Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125
To get this:
- You must live in Orleans Parish.
- You must be at least 62 years old, or disabled or handicapped, according to Social Security, Veterans Administration, or another listed agency.
- Household income must be under poverty level guidelines for the area.
- The water meter must serve only one unit.
- Your Account must not be in dispute status.
Bring the following to apply:
- proof of age (driver's license, birth certificate, or another authentic document).
- proof of physical disability if under the age of 62.
- proof of income (award letter or four check stubs in a row).
- Account statement showing you are the customer of record and that your account is active.
For more information you can call TCA: (504) 324-8609.
Other options for your SWB bill.
Ask the Sewerage and Water Board about a “Payment Arrangement” plan.
You may qualify for a payment plan to help pay off your bill.
The plan will let you pay off what you owe over several months.
Other help for paying water and power bills.
The City of New Orleans can help renters whose income dropped because of the COVID. The New Orleans Office of Housing Policy and Community Development runs this aid program.
There are a few steps to qualify.
You must have been approved before for this kind of help. That approval would have been for the New Orleans Emergency Rental Assistance ("ERA") program.
You must have overdue utility bills. Those past due bills can only go back as far as March 13, 2020.
Check to see if you qualify. Go to this page or here to apply online: https://nola.gov/community-development/utility-assistance-program/
Catholic Charities of New Orleans - Utility Aid
Call (504) 523-3755.
City of New Orleans Department of Human Services (formerly City Welfare)
New Orleans City Hall
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans Parish Council on Aging (COA)
2475 Canal Street (4th Floor)
New Orleans, LA 70119