The Rural Summer Legal Corps helps address the access to justice crisis for people living in rural communities throughout the United States. The SLLS Rural Summer Legal Corps Student Fellow will assist SLLS in expanding access to justice in two rural parishes with some of the highest poverty rates in our service area.

The Fellow will engage in extensive community outreach with at least 16 government, nonprofit, and community stakeholders to raise awareness of how civil legal aid can help improve the lives of vulnerable community members. The Fellow will work to create a successful model of working with rural libraries, holding monthly legal clinics and Know Your Rights sessions on hot legal topics to increase access to civil legal aid.

The Fellow will be based out of our Hammond office, either virtually or in-person.

The application for the 2021 Rural Summer Legal Corps is available hereApplications for the program are due at 11:59 p.m. ET on February 8, 2021.


The information provided on this post does not, and is not intended to, represent legal advice. All information available on this site is for general informational purposes only. If you need legal help, you should contact a lawyer. You may be eligible for our free legal services and can apply by calling our Covid Legal Hotline at 1-844-244-7871 or applying online here.

Updated 8/22/2022

Federal and state laws help students stay in or get into schools if they are homeless or do not have stable housing. They do not just protect children on the street or in a homeless shelter. The laws protect children and youths who do not have “a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.”

This includes children who:

  • are “doubled up” or had to move in with others—such as family members and friends due to a loss of housing, economic hardship, domestic violence, a natural disaster, or similar reasons
  • were sent to live with others because their caretaker could not afford proper housing or was urgently hospitalized for illness
  • live in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of other housing
  • live in emergency or transitional shelters
  • have been abandoned by their parents
  • live at night in a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping place
  • live in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar places; and
  • foster children

These laws apply to children and youth until high school graduation or equivalent (up to age 21).

These children are entitled to the same access to public school and public pre-school programs as other children.

Where does this protection come from?

Most is from the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. Foster children in Louisiana are protected by LA Revised Statute § 17:238.

Are students who lose housing due to COVID-19 covered by the Act?

Yes. Students in the list above because of COVID-19 are considered homeless under the McKinney-Vento Act. So they are entitled to the same legal protections and services as other students experiencing homelessness or inadequate housing.

Who can I contact for help if my child is homeless?

Each school district has a “Homeless Liaison.” This person can help your child get enrolled, receive school supplies, free school meals, transportation to and from your child’s school, tutoring, and help connect the family with community support agencies. You can find the contact information for your child’s school district here.

If my child is in the list, can they stay in the same school?

Yes. Unless you agree to move your child to a different school, your child’s school from before becoming homeless is required to try and keep your child enrolled there. A public school cannot deny enrollment to any child because that child has no permanent address. The school your child attended before becoming homeless is called his or her “school of origin.”

If my child becomes homeless, can they change schools to where they are currently staying?

Yes. The student also the option of enrolling in school where they are currently living, even if it is outside of their original school district. However, the school may later dispute the enrollment

What happens if the school tries to move my child out of a school or refuses to let them enroll?

The school district must make placement decisions based on the best interests of the student.

Under the law:

  • The local Homeless Liaison will decide the dispute between you and the school.
  • The child must be allowed to attend the school until a decision is made.
  • You must be given a written explanation of the decision, including how to appeal.

The Homeless Liaisons are used to helping children in dire circumstances and usually very helpful.

My child is missing documents required for enrollment. Can they still enroll?

Yes. A school must immediately enroll a student in the list, even if the student does not have documents normally required for enrollment, such as academic and medical/immunization records or proof of residency. Once enrolled, the Homeless Liaison for the school must help the family or guardian obtain the necessary records and/or immunizations.

If my child obtains permanent housing during the school year, will they have to change schools?

No. Under the law, a student who went through homelessness (as set out in the list above) and gains permanent, adequate housing during the school year has the right to stay at their current school until the end of the school year.

If my child is in the list, can they get transportation to and from school?

Yes, until the student gets permanent housing. The Homeless Liaison will help arrange transportation to and from school. In general, transportation is available if one hour or less in each direction. Transportation must be made available even if the school does not provide it for other students.

The school may use a school bus or provide access to public transportation, like public bus passes. Factors like the distance from the school and the child’s age will be considered in making transportation arrangements.

This only applies to students who are currently homeless (in the list above). If a student gets permanent housing outside of the school district, the school can decide whether to continue transportation.

If my student is homeless, can they get free school lunch?

Yes. Homeless students are automatically eligible for free school lunch. Paperwork should be completed during the registration process with the Homeless Liaison.

If my student is homeless, can they participate in school programs and activities?

Yes. Students experiencing homelessness have the right to fully participate in activities including enrichment programs, such as tutoring, gifted and talented programs, and test preparation and homework help programs; after-school programs; and extra-curricular activities, such as clubs and sports. If a homeless student meets the requirements for the activity (attendance, grades, try-outs, etc.), and a fee will be a barrier, the fees should be waived or paid for by the district. If the fees are not directly covered by the school district, the district should connect the student with other funding sources such as booster clubs, the school PTA, or non-profit organizations.

Updated January 12, 2021 

Funds for this program are limited and may have already run out. However, as the program gets more funding, those who applied earlier may have priority as funds are awarded again.

Who qualifies for the program?

Workers who meet all of the following requirements are eligible:

Worked more than 32 hours per week in restaurants, bars, or hotels before March 9, 2020 in the following parishes:

  • Assumption
  • Jefferson
  • Lafourche
  • Orleans
  • Plaquemines
  • Bernard
  • Charles
  • James
  • John the Baptist
  • Tammany
  • Tangipahoa
  • Terrebonne
  • Washington

Have minor children (under 18 years) and/or other qualified dependents

Whose total Household Income was at or below these amounts, by parish:

*Must be at least a household of 2 for the program.

*Applicants who have previously received funding are ineligible.

What is the program called?

The Greater New Orleans Foundation Service and Hospitality Family Assistance Program.

How do I apply for the program?

You can apply online at

  • You will need to create an online account using your email address.
  • Applications are available in English, Spanish and Vietnamese.

You will need to provide:

  • A scanned copy of your driver’s license or another other government-issued ID
  • Scanned copies of your pay stubs for the last 30 days you worked
  • Copy of your 2019 tax return (If you do not have a 2019 tax return, you can submit your 2018 tax return.)

You can watch a video on how to apply at this website.

Scanning Your Required Documents

To submit your documents electronically, you will need to scan them. You can do this from your phone or tablet. You will need a device with a working camera and can download a free scanner app from the Google Play store (if you have an Android device) or App Store (if you have an iPhone/Apple device).

  • Place the documents you would like to scan on a flat surface with a plain, dark background.
  • Take a picture of the document with your device’s camera. Try to stand over the document so that you can get a picture of the whole page. If there are multiple pages, be sure to take a picture of each page.
  • Be sure to check that the document is not blurry and is easy to read.
  • The app may ask you to name the scanned document. You should include a date, your name, and a short description of what the document is.
    Example: 10.04.2020_Jane Doe_Pictures.

The app will ask if you want to save the scan. It’s a good idea to save the scanned document to your device so you have the documents ready to send.

How long does the process take after I submit my application?

Applications are reviewed within 10 days after they are submitted. If you are approved for the grant, payments are made within 14 days after approval.

If I need help or have a question who can I contact?

You can send questions to this email address: 


The information provided on this post does not, and is not intended to, represent legal advice. All information available on this site is for general informational purposes only.

If you need legal help, you should contact a lawyer. You may be eligible for our free legal services and can apply by calling our Covid Legal Hotline at 1-844-244-7871 or applying online here.


The information provided on this post does not, and is not intended to, represent legal advice. All information available on this site is for general informational purposes only. If you need legal help, you should contact a lawyer. You may be eligible for our free legal services and can apply by calling our Covid Legal Hotline at 1-844-244-7871 or applying online here.

The government offers free or discounted cell phone service to for some people. Due to Covid-19, you may no longer be able to apply for this program in-person and will need to apply either online, by phone, or by mail. 

In general, you qualify for the program if:

You or someone in your household receives:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/food stamps)
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI), but not if you just receive regular Social Security
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance 
  • Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit

* You will need to provide a card, letter, or official document as proof when you apply. 

* Until June 30, 2021, you may also qualify if you are receiving or have applied for Unemployment Benefits. You will need to provide a copy of your benefits statement or proof of your application. 


Your household income is equal to or less than these amounts: 

Number of People in Your HouseholdAnnual Household IncomeMonthly Average
1$17,226 $1,435.50
2$23,274 $1,939.50
3$29,322 $2,443.50
4$35,370 $2,947.50
5$41,418 $3,451.50
6$47,466 $3,955.50
7$53,514 $4,459.50
8$59,562 $4,963.50
For each additional person, add$6,048 $504.00

Note: There is a limit of one phone or service discount per household.  

How can I apply? 

To get a free phone, you can apply directly with a specific service provider.  

There are a number service providers for Louisiana you can apply with. You will need to provide:

  • Your Name
  • Your Social Security Number
  • A Working Email Address 
  • A Mailing Address (cannot be a P.O. Box)
  • Income or Benefits documentation as listed above. If you are not receiving a government assistance listed above, you should send a copy if your tax return from last year or or proof of three months in a row of your income; other proofs may be accepted if you do not have year-long income documents.

Each program has different features, such as the amount of minutes you’ll receive for phone calls and texts, the amount of “data” you’ll get (to access the Internet from your phone), and whether the program will provide you with a free phone. There are also some differences in the coverage areas (where you can get cell service). You can check what the exact benefits for your area are by providing your zip code on the provider’s website.

ProgramProgram FeaturesHow to Apply
NewPhone Wireless• Free Smartphone
• Unlimited Phone Calls and Text
• 4.5 GB of Data
• Apply online at
Assurance Wireless• Free Smartphone
• Unlimited Text
• 1,000 Minutes for Phone Calls
• 3 GB of Data

Coverage Map
• Apply online at


• Apply over the phone by calling 1-888-898-4888.
EnTouch Wireless• Some applicants may be Eligible for a Free Phone
• Unlimited Text
• 1,000 Minutes for Phone Calls
• 100 MB of Data

Coverage Map
• Apply online at


• Apply by completing and mailing a paper application to:
enTouch Wireless
PO Box 37
Hiawatha, IA 52233
The paper application can be found at
Q Link Wireless• Unlimited Phone Calls and Text
• 3 GB of Data

Coverage Map
• Apply online at
SafeLink• Unlimited Text
• 350 Minutes for Phone Calls
• 4.5 GB of Data
• Apply online at


• Apply over the phone by calling 1-800-723-3546.
TAG Mobile• Unlimited Text
• 1,000 Minutes for Phone Calls
• 250 MB of Data

Coverage Map
• Apply online at
TruConnect• Unlimited Text
• 1,000 Minutes for Phone Calls
• 250 MB of Data

Coverage Map
• Apply online at
Access Wireless • Unlimited Text
• 1,000 Minutes for Phone Calls
• 4.5 GB of Data

Coverage Map
*Enrolling for this program can take weeks, since you have to submit two different applications.

• In order to apply for this provider, you must first complete and mail in a paper application to:
USAC, Lifeline Support Center
P.O. Box 7081, London, KY 40742

The paper application can be found here:

It can take up to 45 days for your application to be processed.

• After your USAC Lifeline application is approved, you can enroll with Access Wireless online at:
Standup Wireless• Unlimited Text
• 1,000 Minutes for Phone Calls
• 4.5 GB of Data (but changing for everyone on February 28, 2021 to only 100 MB of Data. Those already on can keep the higher amount for $10/month)

Coverage Map
Apply online at

SLLS is seeking proposals for strategic planning. The RFP can be found here, along with our 2020 Top Ten Accomplishments and our 2019 Annual Report to provide additional background information about our nonprofit.

Responses are due to on or before 2/7/2021 at 5:00 p.m. Central Time. Any questions can be directed to Laura Tuggle, Executive Director.

Thank you for considering responding to our Strategic Planning request for proposals.