Important Message from Southeast Louisiana Legal Services
While SLLS remains committed to providing high-quality legal aid, the health and safety of our clients, staff, volunteers, and communities is of utmost importance. Accordingly, we are temporarily modifying how we deliver services to prevent the spread of COVID-19 where possible.
- All intakes will be conducted over the phone and not in-person. If you have a legal problem because of the COVID-19 Crisis, you can call 1-844-244-7871 to apply for help through the SLLS COVID-19 Legal Aid Hotline. If you need legal help, you can apply online or call one of our offices to apply for services. You can find phone numbers for our offices at https://slls.org/contact-us/.
- If you want to speak to your attorney, you can contact your attorney by phone or email. If you do not have your attorney’s contact information, you can call one of our offices or email your attorney’s name to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will email it to you.
- Our office phones and hotlines remain open.
- All Self-Help Desks operated by SLLS will close until further notice. We are developing ways to provide Self-Help services remotely. We will provide updates on our Self-Help services on this page.
- All clinics and other events will be postponed or offered in online only formats. We will update information about those events on this page.
- We ask that any adults or children who have experienced any of the following to refrain from visiting our offices or clinics:
- People who symptoms of fever, coughing, and shortness or breath; and
- People who have been in close contact with someone who has a respiratory illness.
We thank you for your cooperation during this public health emergency.
Office Phones and Hotlines
SLLS COVID-19 Hotline: 1-844-244-7871
Baton Rouge: 1-255-448-0080 (Local), 1-855-512-3980 (Toll Free)
Covington: 1-985-893-0076 (Local), 1-800-891-0076 (Toll Free)
Gretna: 1-504-374-0977 (Local), 1-800-624-4771 (Toll Free)
Hammond: 1-985-345-2130 (Local), 1-800-349-0086 (Toll Free)
Houma: 1-985-851-5687 (Local), 1-800-256-1660 (Toll Free)
New Orleans: 1-504-529-1000 (Local), 1-877-521-6242 (Toll Free)
Some of our self-help desks remain closed, and some are now offering virtual self-help options.
- Jefferson Parish: Virtual self-help desk is available Monday-Friday, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, on a first come first serve basis. You can sign in via Zoom here.
- Washington Parish: 9:00am-4:00pm on Mondays, 1007 Cleveland St., Franklinton, LA 70438.
- St. Charles: Open as normal.
Legal Clinics and Events
- All Council on Aging Clinics in Terrebonne and LaFourche Parishes have been postponed.
- The Northshore Pro Bono Project Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast has been postponed.
We are developing resources for low-income people who have legal issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As this situation is changing quickly, we will continue to update the information throughout the crisis. These are posted https://slls.org/news/blog/ and on our Facebook Page. They also will be posted along with other information about legal issues related to COVID-19 at: https://louisianalawhelp.org/resource/coronavirus-covid-19-information?ref=nyKu7.
Current topics available there include:
- Court closings
- Information for workers who have been laid off or had their hours reduced because of COVID-19
- Information for tenants
- Information for Low-Income Taxpayers
- Information on Consumer Law Issue
If you are a reporter and have questions about Southeast Louisiana Legal Services or about how COVID-19 will impact low-income people, please contact:
Laura Tuggle, SLLS Executive Director – (504) 529-1000 ext. 270 – email@example.com