Know Your Rights: Road Home Collections

Posted on: November 18, 2020
The information provided on this post does not, and is not intended to, represent legal advice. All information available on this site is for general informational purposes only. If you need legal help, you should contact a lawyer. You may be eligible for our free legal services and can apply by calling our Covid Legal Hotline at 1-844-244-7871 or applying online here.

Current As of November 2020

Have you gotten a letter or lawsuit about owing money back to ROAD HOME? If so, help may be available for lawsuits and debt collections.

  • There may be help even if you have not returned home, not elevated or are otherwise not in compliance.
  • There may be help as to the first or later grants from ROAD HOME.

If you have proof any of these problems kept you from elevating or returning to your home, you might be able to get your debt ended or reduced:

The Problem or What Happened

Contractor Fraud

Theft or Vandalism

Later Property Damage (hurricane, flood, fire, etc.)

Money used for rent or other housing costs (After August of 2008)

You had to use the funds to pay down or off the mortgage of the damaged property

Proof You May Need

Copy of contract, receipts, lawsuits filed, proof of incomplete work, police reports, etc.

Police reports, insurance claims, civil or criminal complaints, proof of damage, receipts or proof of stolen items, etc.

Insurance claims or paperwork, building inspections, photos of damages, etc.

Lease agreements, rent receipts, hotel/motel receipts, etc.

Mortgage Payoff letter, copies of insurance checks, payoff statements, etc.

These are some of the common problems and documents used to show what happened. This is not a list of every problem or every document you may need.  Keep the documents in a safe place. Make copies, take pictures or scan the documents. A lawyer experienced in dealing with Road Home collections can help you through this. To see if Southeast Louisiana Legal Services can provide free help, call 1-844-244-7871.

Read Full Article