FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT LAURA TUGGLE (504) 529-1000 ext. 270 WEDNESDAY, 5/31/2017, UPDATED June 2, 2017
New Orleans, Louisiana Southeast Louisiana Legal Services (SLLS) announced today that it is has established a 50th Anniversary Advisory Committee to assist its Board in commemorating this milestone in its history. This fall, Justice is Golden as the agency turns 50. SLLS is honored to join forces with so many other community leaders with a demonstrated commitment to equal justice to amplify our impact and help drive future innovation and partnership in the interest of justicesaid SLLS Board President Vivian Guillory.
The Committee, composed of distinguished judges, prominent attorneys, business leaders, foundation heads, and law school deans, held its first meeting on May 10, 2017 at the New Orleans office of Phelps, Dunbar LLC to begin its work. The Honorable Chief Justice Bernette Joshua Johnson, a former civil legal aid attorney early in her career, is the 50th Anniversary Advisory Committee Honorary Chair. Darrel Papillion, President of the Louisiana State Bar Association and a partner in Walters, Papillion, Thomas, Cullens LLC serves as Co-Chair along with R. Patrick Vance, senior partner at Jones Walker and a former SLLS Board President.
Remarking on the importance of SLLS, Honorary Chair Chief Justice Bernette Johnson said, The help legal aid programs provide keeps faith with one of Americas core values equal access to justiceand changes the lives of low-income people every day. Pat Vance, Co-Chair of the 50th Anniversary Advisory Committee noted For decades, SLLS has been at the forefront of increasing access to justice for vulnerable Louisiana citizens. I am thrilled to help lead this Committee as it lays a strong foundation to fight for fairness for the next fifty years.
The committee will plan a year of activities, beginning with a Kick-Off event on November 8, 2017 at the Louisiana Supreme Court featuring a panel discussion on the Future of Civil Legal Aid from 4-5:30 p.m. followed by a reception. During the 50th Anniversary year from Nov. 2017 to Oct. 2018, an event will be held at each of Louisianas four law schools. The Committee will also work to increase awareness of the importance of civil legal aid to improving lives and in strengthening communities. A recent Economic Impact Study released by the Louisiana Bar Foundation found that for every $1 invested in civil legal aid, there is $8.73 of social return on investment through immediate and long-term benefits and taxpayer savings.
Co-Chair Darrel Papillion stressed SLLS critical role in our justice system, If all Americans do not have reliable access to our courts to resolve disputes and redress wrongs, the promises of our founding fathers are rendered meaningless, and we fail to live up to our national promise of equal justice under law.
SLLS 50th Anniversary Advisory Committee members & SLLS Board Members are:
1. Honorary Co-Chair: Chief Justice Bernette Joshua Johnson, Louisiana Supreme Court
2. Co-Chair: Darrel J. Papillion, Louisiana State Bar Association President and Partner in Walters, Papillion, Thomas, Cullens LLC
3. Co-Chair: R. Patrick Vance, Senior Partner at Jones Walker and Past SLLS President
4. Lila Arsan, SLLS Client Board Member, Lafourche
5. Valerie Bargas, Kinchen, Walker, Bienvenu, Bargas, Reed, & Helm LLC
6. Mary Barrios, Law Office of Mary Barrios
7. David Bienvenu, Simon, Peragine, Smith, & Redfearn LLP
8. Dennis Blunt, Phelps Dunbar LLP
9. The Honorable Bernadette DSouza, Civil District Court, Division K
10. Kurt Duncan, Capital One Bank
11. Thomas Galligan Jr., Dean of LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
12. Charmel Gaulden, Baptist Community Ministries
13. Rita Gue, Arlene & Joseph Mereaux Foundation
14. Vivian Guillory, SLLS Board Chair, Retired Chief Administrative Law Judge, State of Louisiana
15. Ashley Aubrey Harrison, Whitney/Hancock Bank
16. Jan Hayden, Baker Donelson
17. Steve Herman, Herman, Herman, & Katz LLC
18. Michael Hill, SLLS Client Board Member, Baton Rouge
19. Jay Jalenak, Jr., Kean Miller LLP
20. Regina Joseph, SLLS Client Board Member, Jefferson Parish
21. The Honorable Madeleine Landrieu, Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal and incoming Dean at Loyola University of New Orleans College of Law
22. Kerrie Long, SLLS Client Board Member, Hammond
23. Brandt Lorio, FARA Insurance Service Inc.
24. David Meyer, Dean Tulane University Law School
25. Warren McKenna III, The McKenna Firm
26. Joel Miller, SLLS Client Board Member, Washington Parish
27. Monte Mollere, Louisiana State Bar Association Access to Justice Director
28. Letita Parker-Davis, 24 Judicial District Court Public Defender Office
29. Chris Ralston, Phelps Dunbar LLP
30. John Y. Pearce, Gordon, Arata, Montgomery, Barnett, McCollam, Duplantis, & Eagan, LLC
31. Judy Perry Martinez, Of Counsel Simon, Peragine, Smith, & Redfearn LLP
32. John Pierre, Chancellor Southern University Law Center
33. Darryl Phillips, Entergy Services, Inc.
34. Bill Quigley, Director of Loyola Law Clinic & Gillis Long Poverty Law Center
35. The Honorable Kern Reese, Civil District Court, Division L
36. Lauren Rogers, St. Charles Parish Bar Association
37. The Honorable Raymond Ray Steib Jr., 24th Judicial District Court, Division A
38. Marta-Ann Schnabel, OBryan & Schnabel PLC
39. Mark Surprenant, Adams and Reese LLP
40. Paul Tabary, Tabary & Borne, LLC
41. Rolando Urbina, Law Offices of Rolando R. Urbina & Associates, LLC
42. Jennifer Van Metre, 21st Judicial District Bar Association SLLS Board Representative
43. Claudette Warren, SLLS Client Board Member, New Orleans
44. Michael Williamson, President/CEO United Way of Southeast Louisiana
45. Rachel Wisdom, Stone, Pigman, Walther, & Wittmann LLC
46. The Honorable Lisa Woodruff-White, The Family Court of East Baton Rouge Parish, Division B
47. Patrick Yancey, Patrick Yancey Law Firm
48. The Honorable Jay Zainey, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, Section A