FEMA To Start Charging Rent For FEMA Trailers!Posted on: February 3, 2023
Did FEMA give you a trailer or camper after Hurricane Ida? Are you still living in a FEMA Trailer or Camper?
This post does not apply to trailers from the state of Louisiana, only trailers from FEMA.
If you are still in a FEMA trailer, you should know the following:
- FEMA says it will only allow the use of the trailer until August 29, 2023!
- For March, April, and May 2023, rent for every trailer will be $50. March rent is due April 1st. If you are charged more than $50 for March, April, or May 2023, you can contact Southeast Louisiana Legal Services to see if we can provide free help.
- If you are in your trailer after May, FEMA will charge you market rent. You can ask to reduce it based on your income. You will have to document your income and expenses. If you have a “very low income” (see chart below), you can be approved for $50 in rent. Starting in June 2023, call us for assistance if your rent is higher than you can afford. See https://slls.org/get-help/client-services/
- If your income is above the “very low income” limit, FEMA is supposed to charge rent you can afford. You will have to document your income and expenses. If your rent is more than you can afford, call us for help.
- For the higher rents after May, you should get a letter from FEMA telling you what your rent will be and how to appeal if you can’t afford it.
- If you do not pay the rent, FEMA can put you out of the trailer! FEMA does not need to go to court to evict you.
- February 28, 2023 is the last day to move out to not pay any rent.
|FY 2022 Very Low-Income (50%) Limit (VLIL)|
|Median Family Income||1 Person||2 Person||3 Person||4 Person||5 Person||6 Person||7 Person||8 Person|
If you cannot afford the FEMA rent, have questions about FEMA rent, or will be put out of a FEMA trailer, call 1-844-244-7871 to see if Southeast Louisiana Legal Services can help.
Please note that if you reside in a camper provided by the State Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Ida Sheltering Program (NOT FEMA), there is no plan to charge you rent.