SLLS is pleased to announce our pending New Orleans office move to 1340 Poydras Street, Suite 600, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112.
Our New Orleans office service will be limited to emergencies on Monday, March 26, 2018 and Tuesday March 27, 2018. The New Orleans office will be closed Wednesday, March 28, 2018 through Monday, April 2, 2018. The New Orleans office will reopen to the public at its new 1340 Poydras St. home on Tuesday, April 3, 2018.
All SLLS offices will be closed Friday, March 30, 2018 and Monday April 2, 2018 for Easter weekend holidays.
Disaster Aid: www.disasterassistance.gov or 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).
Keep SLLS strong beyond 50. Go here to see our special commemorative booklet. Go here to listen to SLLS heroes present and past talk about their work with our special commemorative audio project.
SLLS helps people clear life's legal hurdles. Go here to learn about what we do.
Our online application is available anytime. Go here to use the online form to apply for free legal help. Go here to find an SLLS office.
SLLS only offers civil legal representation in Louisiana.
Please consider celebrating the SLLS golden anniversary by making a donation. Go here to use "Just Give" to make your contribution online.
Next SLLS Board Meeting: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at the offices of Adams & Reese, 701 Poydras St., (Suite 4500), New Orleans, LA 70139
SLLS is celebrating its 50th all year long. Go here to learn more about the SLLS golden anniversary celebration. Here is an image from our reception at the Supreme Court of Louisiana.
Go here to see our community calendar.
Next SLLS Board Meeting (to be announced).
SLLS and those who work here have been honored collectively and individually many times. These accolades also help us attract law graduates who are participants in competitive fellowship programs.
2017 Berkeley Law Foundation Fellow, Alexis Erkert
2017 Louisiana State Bar Association Excellence in Advocacy Award, Hannah Adams
2017 Louisiana State Bar Association President's Access to Justice Award, Regional Director Sarah "Jamie" Campbell.
2017 New Orleans Bar Association Mark Moreau Memorial Award, to New Orleans Family Law Unit Managing Attorney Douglas Carey.
2017 Community Professional Award at the CASA Jefferson 16th Annual Light of Hope Ceremony,. to Child in Need of Care Unit Managing Attorney Ayanna Butler
2017 Terrebonne Parish Bar Association Secretary, Houma Office Staff Attorney Lakethia Bryant.
2017 Loyola University New Orleans College of Law Gillis Long Public Service Award to SLLS Attorney Nicole Gather.
2016 Louisiana State Bar Association's Legal Excellence in Advocacy Award, SLLS Litigation Director David Williams
2016 New Orleans Bar Association Mark Moreau Award, SLLS Attorney Jay Welch
2016 Tulane University Law School Lutz Fellow, Erin Tyrer
2016 Tulane University Law School Lutz Fellow, Julia Wilson
2016 Tulane University Law School Lutz Fellow, Ana Lopez
2016 Borchard Foundation Center on Law and Aging Fellow, Rebecca Holmes
2016 Vanderbilt University Law School Public Service Fellow, Chelsea Fitzgerald,
2016 New Orleans Bar Association Mark Moreau Award, to Jay Welch
2016 Louisiana State Bar Association Career Public Interest Award, Jay Welch
2015 Lutz Fellow, Josephine Vanderhorst (Child in Need of Care Unit)
2015 Lutz Fellow, Hannah Groedel (New Orleans Office)
2015 - 2016 New Orleans Bar Association Fellow, Laura Malveau
2015 - 2017 Equal Justice Work Medical-Legal Partnership Fellow, Hannah Adams
2015 Inaugural Louisiana State Bar Association Innovation in Civil Legal Services Delivery Award
2015 A.P. Tureaud Award, Louis A. Martinet Legal Society, Inc. (Baton Rouge) 2015 A Community Voice Katrina Hero Award, Laura Tuggle and SLLS
- SLLS Regional Director Sarah "Jamie" Campbell also was honored with the 2006 Career Public Interest Award, the 2012 LSU Alumni Pro Bono Service Award and the 2015 MetroMorphosis Change Master Award.
- SLLS Covington Office Managing Attorney Paula Charles received special recognition for her work at the 2014 Safe Harbor Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil.
- Executive Director Brian D. Lenard received the 2014 Leah Hipple McKay Memorial Award for Outstanding Volunteerism conferred by the Louisiana State Bar Association as the premier award of the Crystal Gavel Award Program.
- SLLS CINC Unit Managing Attorney Darlene T. Bewley, 2014 Children's Law Award.
- SLLS Litigation Director David H. Williams, 2014 Mark A Moreau Award.
- SLLS former Co-Director Mark A. Moreau, memorialized by the 2014 Camille F. Gravel, Jr. Public Service Award, Federal Bar Association, New Orleans chapter.
- SLLS Co-Director Mark Moreau received the inaugural Mark Moreau Award at 2013 New Orleans Bar Association Annual Meeting. He received the 2013 President's Award by the Louisiana State Bar Association. He received the 2012 National Taxpayer Advocate Award presented at the annual conference of 150 Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics in Washington, D.C.
- SLLS Deputy Director Roxanne Newman received special recognition for her work at the 2013 Safe Harbor Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil.
- SLLS Co-Director Mark A. Moreau, 2013 inaugural Mark A Moreau Award.
- SLLS Co-Director Mark A. Moreau, American Bar Association Section of Taxation 2013 Janet R. Spragens Pro Bono Award, shared with Carlton Smith Clinical Associate Professor of Law and Director, Tax Clinic, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University.
- SLLS Houma office Managing Attorney Salyria Gumms received the Career Public Interest Award at the 2013 Pro Bono & Children's Law Awards, held at the Supreme Court of Louisiana.
- SLLS board member Christopher Ralston received the Louisiana Bar Foundation's 2013 President's Award at the Annual Fellows Membership Meeting.
2012, New Orleans CityBusiness, Leadership in Law recognized Co-Directors Mark Moreau and Brian Lenard and also SLLS Board member Christopher Ralston.
2012 Hodson Award, conferred by the Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association, which "recognizes sustained, outstanding performance or a specific and extraordinary service by a government or public sector law office."
SLLS received the John Minor Wisdom Public Service and Professionalism Award, American Bar Association, 2012 (as part of Gulf Justice Consortium).
Equal Justice Works Fellowships for several cycles beginning in 2008.
2015 Unity of Greater New Orleans Advocacy Award (Sarah Marcello)
2015 SLLS Justice for a Greater New Orleans Award (Sarah Marcello)
2014-2016 Skadden Fellowship (Samuel Brandao)
2014 Lutz Fellowship (Jessica Wood)
2013-2014 Liman Fellowship
2011-2012 Liman Fellowship.
SLLS Staff Attorney Margaret Morley received the 2012 Wave Award for her domestic violence work.
Earlier honors include:
2011 New Orleans CityBusiness, Women of the Year
2011 Pro Bono Award, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
2010 A Community Voice, Social Justice Award
2010 Greater New Orleans Foundation, Eight Outstanding Social Entrepreneurs
HUD Secretary, Shaun Donovan, Katrina-Rita Disaster Housing Assistance Recognition Award, 2009
2008 Lindy Boggs Hunger Awareness Award, Bread for the World
2008 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2007 Wynne Professionalism Award, Association of Women Attorneys
National Housing Law Project, Katrina Housing Advocacy, 2006
2006-2008 Skadden Fellowship
2006 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2005 National Legal Aid & Defender Assn., Reginald Heber Smith Award
2005 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2004 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2004 Louisiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Into Action Award
2003 Louisiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Into Action Award
2003 Grantee Excellence in Service and Programming Award, Louisiana Bar Foundation
2002 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2001, 1997 Mayor's Golden Hammer Awards for Housing Program Excellence
2001 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2000 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1999 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1998 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1998 - 2000 Skadden Fellowship
1998 Fair Housing Action Center, Fair Housing Advocacy Award
1996 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1996-1998 Skadden Fellowship
1992-1994 Skadden Fellowship
1994 Recognition Award, New Orleans Homes of Care
1993 National Legal Aid & Defender Assn., Reginald Heber Smith Award
1993 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1993 Sustained Excellence, Greater New Orleans Foundation
1992 Commendation for Legal Services, New Orleans City Council
1987 Services to Hispanic Community, Latin American Apostolate
1986 Outstanding Civil Rights Work, American Civil Liberties Union