SLLS helps people clear life's legal hurdles.
SLLS only offers civil legal representation in Louisiana.
To make a donation to support SLLS disaster services, go to the "Donate Now!" button below. Until further notice donations to SLLS will support disaster-related legal needs of those affected by the August 2016 flood.
Read the 2015 SLLS Annual Report here.
SLLS offices will be closed Monday, February 27, 2017 for Lundi Gras and Tuesday, February 28, 2017 for Mardi Gras.
Use our online application anytime. Go here to apply online for legal help.
Find an SLLS office here.
Find us at outreach sessions and other events -- go here to see our community calendar.
You can support SLLS anytime. Use the green button below to go to our JustGive page.
Learn about our annual campaign and your other donation options here.
SLLS and those who work here have been honored collectively and individually many times. These accolades also help us attract law graduates who are participants in competitive fellowship programs.
• 2016 Louisiana State Bar Association's Legal Excellence in Advocacy Award, SLLS Litigation Director David Williams
• 2016 Tulane University Law School Lutz Fellow, Erin Tyrer
• 2016 Tulane University Law School Lutz Fellow, Julia Wilson
• 2016 Tulane University Law School Lutz Fellow, Ana Lopez
• 2016 Borchard Foundation Center on Law and Aging Fellow, Rebecca Holmes
• 2016 Vanderbilt University Law School Public Service Fellow, Chelsea Fitzgerald,
• 2016 New Orleans Bar Association Mark Moreau Award, to Jay Welch
• 2016 Louisiana State Bar Association Career Public Interest Award, to be presented to Jay Welch, late May 2016
• 2015 Lutz Fellow, Josephine Vanderhorst (Baton Rouge Office)
• 2015 Lutz Fellow, Hannah Groedel (New Orleans Office)
• 2015 - 2016 New Orleans Bar Association Fellow, Laura Malveau
• 2015 - 2017 Equal Justice Work Medical-Legal Partnership Fellow, Hannah Adams
• 2015 Inaugural Louisiana State Bar Association Innovation in Civil Legal Services Delivery Award
• 2015 A.P. Tureaud Award, Louis A. Martinet Legal Society, Inc. (Baton Rouge)
• 2015 A Community Voice Katrina Hero Award, Laura Tuggle and SLLS
• SLLS Covington Office Managing Attorney Paula Charles received special recognition for her work at the 2014 Safe Harbor Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil.
• Executive Director Brian D. Lenard received the 2014 Leah Hipple McKay Memorial Award for Outstanding Volunteerism conferred by the Louisiana State Bar Association as the premier award of the Crystal Gavel Award Program.
• SLLS CINC Unit Managing Attorney Darlene T. Bewley, 2014 Children's Law Award.
• SLLS Litigation Director David H. Williams, 2014 Mark A Moreau Award.
• SLLS former Co-Director Mark A. Moreau, memorialized by the 2014 Camille F. Gravel, Jr. Public Service Award, Federal Bar Association, New Orleans chapter.
• SLLS Co-Director Mark Moreau received the inaugural Mark Moreau Award at 2013 New Orleans Bar Association Annual Meeting. He received the 2013 President's Award by the Louisiana State Bar Association. He received the 2012 National Taxpayer Advocate Award presented at the annual conference of 150 Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics in Washington, D.C.
• Roxanne Newman received special recognition for her work at the 2013 Safe Harbor Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil.
• SLLS Co-Director Mark A. Moreau, 2013 inaugural Mark A Moreau Award.
• SLLS Co-Director Mark A. Moreau, American Bar Association Section of Taxation 2013 Janet R. Spragens Pro Bono Award, shared with Carlton Smith Clinical Associate Professor of Law and Director, Tax Clinic, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University.
• Salyria Gumms received the Career Public Interest Award at the 2013 Pro Bono & Children's Law Awards, held at the Supreme Court of Louisiana.
• SLLS board member Christopher Ralston received the Louisiana Bar Foundation's 2013 President's Award at the Annual Fellows Membership Meeting.
2012, New Orleans CityBusiness, Leadership in Law recognized Co-Directors Mark Moreau and Brian Lenard and also SLLS Board member Christopher Ralston.
2012 Hodson Award, conferred by the Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association, which "recognizes sustained, outstanding performance or a specific and extraordinary service by a government or public sector law office."
SLLS received the John Minor Wisdom Public Service and Professionalism Award, American Bar Association, 2012 (as part of Gulf Justice Consortium).
Equal Justice Works Fellowships for several cycles beginning in 2008.
2015 Unity of Greater New Orleans Advocacy Award (Sarah Marcello)
2015 SLLS Justice for a Greater New Orleans Award (Sarah Marcello)
2014-2016 Skadden Fellowship (Samuel Brandao)
2014 Lutz Fellowship (Jessica Wood)
2013-2014 Liman Fellowship
2011-2012 Liman Fellowship.
SLLS Staff Attorney Margaret Morley received the 2012 Wave Award for her domestic violence work.
Earlier honors include:
2011 New Orleans CityBusiness, Women of the Year
2011 Pro Bono Award, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
2010 A Community Voice, Social Justice Award
2010 Greater New Orleans Foundation, Eight Outstanding Social Entrepreneurs
HUD Secretary, Shaun Donovan, Katrina-Rita Disaster Housing Assistance Recognition Award, 2009
2008 Lindy Boggs Hunger Awareness Award, Bread for the World
2008 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2007 Wynne Professionalism Award, Association of Women Attorneys
National Housing Law Project, Katrina Housing Advocacy, 2006
2006-2008 Skadden Fellowship
2006 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2005 National Legal Aid & Defender Assn., Reginald Heber Smith Award
2005 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2004 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2004 Louisiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Into Action Award
2003 Louisiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Into Action Award
2003 Grantee Excellence in Service and Programming Award, Louisiana Bar Foundation
2002 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2001, 1997 Mayor's Golden Hammer Awards for Housing Program Excellence
2001 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
2000 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1999 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1998 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1998 - 2000 Skadden Fellowship
1998 Fair Housing Action Center, Fair Housing Advocacy Award
1996 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1996-1998 Skadden Fellowship
1992-1994 Skadden Fellowship
1994 Recognition Award, New Orleans Homes of Care
1993 National Legal Aid & Defender Assn., Reginald Heber Smith Award
1993 Louisiana State Bar Association, Career Public Interest Award
1993 Sustained Excellence, Greater New Orleans Foundation
1992 Commendation for Legal Services, New Orleans City Council
1987 Services to Hispanic Community, Latin American Apostolate
1986 Outstanding Civil Rights Work, American Civil Liberties Union