Did You Miss Out on 2021 Federal Stimulus Payments or Child Tax Credits?

Posted on: May 17, 2022
The information provided on this post does not, and is not intended to, represent legal advice. All information available on this site is for general informational purposes only. If you need legal help, you should contact a lawyer. You may be eligible for our free legal services and can apply by calling our Covid Legal Hotline at 1-844-244-7871 or applying online here.

There is good news for those who did not get the 2021 stimulus payment or the Advanced Child Tax Credit.

People who do not have to file federal income tax forms can now get these 2021 payments without filing a tax return:

Who can use the website?

If you do not need to file a 2021 tax return you can use a website to claim the 2021 stimulus funds or Advanced Child Tax Credits.

Use the website only if all of the things listed below apply to your household:

  • You did not file a tax return for 2021.
  • You did not need to file a tax return for 2021. (More about this below)
  • At least one of these is true:
    • You did not receive the 2021 stimulus funds ($1,400) OR
    • You had minor children in your home and your household did not get the full amount of Advanced Child Tax Credits:
      • For each child under age 6, the tax credit is $3,600.
      • For children ages 6-17, the tax credit is $3,000.
      • You can claim for children who turned 17 in 2021.

Who cannot use the new website?

People who must file federal income tax forms for 2021 tax forms cannot use this new option.

People who cannot use the site include:

  • People who got health insurance in 2021 through the federal “marketplace” (Obamacare) with discounts based on their income.
  • People who were supposed to get other tax credits, like the Earned Income Tax Credit.
  • People who must file federal tax forms.

For example people at these income levels did not need  to file federal tax forms

Single people living alone: Income under $12,550
Married filing jointly: Income under $25,100
Unmarried head of household: Income under $18,800

If you are must file a tax return, you can still file a late federal return.

Filing your taxes can get you your Stimulus or Child Tax Credits as tax refunds.

To find out more about whether you should file a tax return, talk with a reputable tax preparer.

You can also use the Form 1040 instructions at www.irs.gov.

You can also use https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return.

How to use the website:

You can claim Stimulus funds or the Child Tax Credit by using a website set up by a nonprofit to help people get their Advanced Child Tax Credit money.

The website is not a government website.

A non-profit group called Code for America designed the website with  the IRS.

The website will be up until at least October 15, 2022

The website to use is www.getctc.org

Be careful to use the correct website.

Never give your personal information to an unknown website. 

To use the website, you will need:

  • Your Social Security number
  • The Social Security number for of every child you claim
  • Your picture ID, such as a state ID, driver’s license, or passport,
  • If you want the funds deposited directly into your bank account, you need your bank “routing number” and bank account number. (These are on checks, deposit slips, and your bank statements.)

You will be asked to prove who you are. There may be questions about credit you have gotten. These are things like a mortgage, student loan, car loan, or credit card.

You can also use a valid driver’s license number to prove who you are.

If you do not have these items, you will be asked to confirm your identity with a secure video call.

Filing for the money usually takes about 15 minutes.

You can have the funds deposited into a bank account or mailed to you.

If you find you cannot use the website, you may want to file a late 2021 Federal tax return to claim your funds.

Low-income persons can get help from a non-profit group called Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) in filling out returns.

To find out what VITA programs are near you, you can call 1-800-906-9887, toll free.

If you are 60 years old or older, to find out about help near you, you can also call the AARP 1-888-227-7669, toll free.

Read Full Article